Welcome to this cyberplace, set up as a space for news and reviews of A Gentleman of Pleasure and occasional jottings about John Glassco. Five years have now passed since publication, and I've moved on to other projects, but I'm leaving this up with the thought that those drawn to Glassco's writing will find something of interest.

12 September 2011

Lucy, Knowlton, Quebec, c. 1940



This photograph of Glassco with Elizabeth Wilson ('Sappho') and his horse Peggy appears in A Gentleman of Pleasure, but what I didn't notice until after publication is Lucy, the poet's beloved Dalmation, running beneath the carriage.


Glassco mentions Lucy's death – but only briefly – in a 1948 journal entry:

This is something I can’t write about: it is the first grievous loss by death I have ever had.

The twelfth of thirty posts focussing on images not found in A Gentleman of Pleasure.
The entire series can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment